Things to consider when choosing Pet Insurance…
by Pamela Johnson
- Every 6 seconds in the United States a pet parent is faced with an emergency and a vet bill of over $1,000.
- Every year 1 in 3 pets will become ill or have an accident. This is why it is so important to have your pet insured. Piece of mind is priceless…
- Training and competing in dog sports increases your dogs risk for injuries or accidents.
What to find out when researching Pet Insurance Companies:
Does the insurance company cover hereditary conditions?
- Hip Dysplasia
- Luxating Patellas
- Heart Disease
How long will the policy cover your pet? His whole life?
- 40% of all pet insurance claims received are for chronic conditions, which last beyond 12 months.
- If you renew your policy will those chronic conditions continue to be covered?
Are there pre-condition limits?
- Make sure your insurance company does not limit reimbursement based on your pet’s specific condition.
Does the pet insurance give you a choice of co-pay?
- 80%, 90% or even 100% reimbursement
How well is the pet insurance company established?
Read Reviews… Is it rated?
I choose to insure my pets with Pet Plan Insurance Company because I have piece of mind knowing I will be able to take care of them the best I possibly can, I have had great success with getting reimbursed, they are very timely on reimbursements and I can choose my deductible.
My dogs have had their share of accidents and the pet insurance has made a huge difference. One time my two border collies collided while chasing a tennis ball and both had trauma to their teeth. My oldest border collie needed a root canal and a titanium crown put on in order to save his canine tooth. If I had not had insurance he would have had to have his tooth extracted. I was able to save his tooth due to having insurance. Over the last 3 years, I have had a total of over $12,000 in vet bills, but because of having pet insurance I only had to pay about $4,000 out of pocket. In my opinion having pet insurance is a no brainer.